BHI membership is open to anyone with an interest in horology.
Benefits of membership:
- A copy of the Horological Journal.
- Access to the collection for study and research.
- Free use of the reference library.
- Use of the Institute’s information service.
- Membership of any Local Branch of the Institute.
- Access to BHI horological education.
- Participate and vote in the Annual General Meeting.
Categories of membership:
- Fellow (FBHI), Member (MBHI), Trade Associate, Associate, Corporate member.
- The BHI distinguishes between members with a small “m” which includes everyone who has joined, and Members with a capital “M” which refers to professionals who can use the title MBHI (Member of the BHI) and FBHI (Fellow of the BHI) after their names.
- Fellows, Members and Trade associates have to undergo an in loco inspection of their workshops to qualify.
- Anyone can become an Associate.
- Corporate membership is a way for larger corporates to show their support and benefit from membership.
- All members are required to work with the BHI Code of Practice.
Publicly listed South African members in alphabetical order:
FELLOW (FBHI): A competent and experienced horologist who demonstrates excellence in general horology, or eminence in a particular practical horological specialism.
- Arzul, Jacques (FBHI). Owner of Gun O’ Clock. email@example.com T: 021-8876889. Dorp street, Stellenbosch.
- Dietrich, Jochen (FBHI). Owner of Chronos cc. firstname.lastname@example.org www.chronoswatchmakers.co.za T: 021-4618444. Adderley street, Cape Town.
- Lehr, Cornelius (FBHI). email@example.com PO Box 261, Parklands, Johannesburg 2121.
- Oberauer, Peter F (FBHI). Owner of Fine Time. firstname.lastname@example.org T: 021-7883493. Plumstead, Cape Town.
- Ridley, Nigel (FBHI). Specialist Restorer Clocks Barometers & Scientific Instruments. email@example.com T: 011 8031319. Rivonia.
- Van Deijl, WL (FBHI). Van Deijl Gemmologists and Watchmakers www.vandeijl.co.za T: 021 914 2192. Shop 558 Tyger Valley Centre, Tyger Park.
MEMBER (MBHI): A competent and experienced horologist who may have either been awarded an acceptable horological qualification or demonstrated equivalent practical knowledge and experience.
- Bester, Pieter (MBHI). www.montres.co.za.
Clark, Darryn (MBHI). firstname.lastname@example.org 4 Garron Avenue, Hout Bay, Cape Town 7806.
Davids, Julius (MBHI). email@example.com Fine Time, PO Box 239, Plumstead 7801.
- Lees, Reg (MBHI). firstname.lastname@example.org Langebaan.
- Snyman, Chris (MBHI). Owner of Back in Time cc. email@example.com T: 021 871 1917. 11 Foxglove street, Groenvlei, Paarl, 7646.
TRADE ASSOCIATE: A professional in a field closely allied to horology, eg engraver, cabinet maker, dial restorer etc. This grade is also available for small businesses.
- Holtzhausen, Herman. Clock retail and cabinet making. Owner of Tick Tock Time cc. t/a Holtzhausen clocks. firstname.lastname@example.org www.holtzhausen.com T: 011-6787722. National.
ASSOCIATE: Anyone with an interest in horology. No special entrance requirements. In this category one can find amongst others clock enthusiast and students of horology.
- Diekmann, J. (Associate). email@example.com Cape Town.
- Kamoo, R J. (Associate). firstname.lastname@example.org Pretoria.
- Papageorgiou, A. (Associate). email@example.com Alberton.
- Shusha, S. (Associate). Po Box 261, Parklands, Johannesburg 2121.